Monday, November 3, 2008

Decisions

So I've been trying to cool my rage at people who are voting yes on Proposition 8. I mean really trying. I've tried to understand their side of it beyond the God hates gays and the our precious children will be scarred arguments. All it's been leaving me with is that they don't have anything to stand on beyond these arguments. People are using their religions and their children to justify their bigotry and hatred. I think the commercial narrated by Samuel L. Jackson says it best in that it displays the Great State of California's misguided views of "the other".
To take away anyone's rights is one of the worst things that can be done. Speaking as a black woman I cannot espouse anything that supports discrimination or bigotry of any group. The same God the "Yes on 8" people frequently quote also said that we are called to love our neighbors as we love ourselves and that all people are made equal in his sight. I can't possibly judge anyone's choices, lifestyle or anything of that nature. That's NOT my job. My duty as a Christian is to love the Lord God and to love my neighbor as myself. That is what I'm supposed to do.
My mom always says that you shouldn't judge someone unless you are prepared to be judged in that same fashion. I don't want to be judged for the way I live my life. I don't want to be judged for how I was born. I don't want to be judged for the choices and mistakes that I have made. The only person I'm prepared to have make judgment calls on me is God and last time I checked I'm not standing at the gates yet.

No comments: