Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I found them

The words, they are here! Last night this great nation elected it's first African-American president. To be able to say that I am an American has never meant more to me. The fact stands that changes need to be made and that Barack Obama will be at the forefront of those changes.
I work in a predominately Republican work-place. I wish I didn't know that. I wish that it didn't matter but it does. That I heard someone offering their condolences to another employee bothers me. Of course, I can't rightly know what my reaction would have been if John McCain had won. I think I would have been crying tears of sorrow last night instead of joy.
I'm glad I live in a country that is ready to embark on a new path. I woke up this morning and said to myself "It's a new day." That essentially sums up how I'm feeling.
On the flip side, I am appalled that Prop. 8 passed. I am horrified to live in a state that has an amendment in the constitution that discriminates against a group of people. I like to believe that this country has come along way and in many ways we have. But to think that there are people in this country that don't have the same rights as others bugs the hell out of me. How can I be so proud and yet so ashamed at the same time.?
For me last night was bittersweet. Yes, I am glad that Obama won. I am proud that this country made the right decision. But I'm also so sad that California has chosen to oppress a group of people. It's not protecting marriage or children or religious freedom; it's using those things to discriminate against others. That is the problem.

No comments: