Sunday, March 8, 2009

Accidental Sacrifices

Lent started a week and a half ago. When it started I decided I wasn't going to give anything up this year. I was feeling very far away and detached from my faith and my Catholicism. This morning when I was sitting in my room before heading to mass, I realized that I gave up being lazy. I am currently in an immense amount of back pain. Walking around, sitting, standing, and driving all cause the sensation of daggers being dug into my spine. It's awful. As I was sitting in my room I realized that last Sunday I got out and bed and went to church on my own for the first time in a very long time. So long that I couldn't remember the last time I went to church by myself. This morning I was tired. I was feeling lazy. I decided that I had accidentally given up being lazy. I took my very sore body to church and the grocery store and took care of my soul, mind and body. I've started working out and paying more attention to what I put into my body and how my body reacts to it (that's a whole other post for another time). I think in this whole giving up on laziness is going to have to extend beyond Lent (which is the point). I'm going to make it translate to other parts of my life.

No comments: